This painting has been kindly donated by Lady Howard de Walden and is of a previous Kintbury Rectory which was demolished in about 1860 to make way for the current Old Vicarage.
The artist is Lady Caroline Hervey Bathurst who is well known for her portrayal of the Jane Austen Regency period. She exhibited in 2014 in Winchester Cathedral.
Her individual and intensively painterly style was formed by her long time mentors, Jehan Daly and R Vivian Pitchforth with whom she studied at St Martins School of Art and the Sir John Cass School.
While her profession is portraiture - she has shown at the Royal Society of Portrait Painters and at the Royal Academy - she has alway painted still life, interiors and window views, where an impression of light or weather has caught her imagination. She has exhibited at the Pers Feetham Gallery and her botanical works are featured in the Chelsea Physic Garden Florilegium Society's record of rare plants in the garden.
The framed oil painting (24.5 cm x 34.5 cm) was auctioned at the Festival on 27 and 28 June 2015 in aid of the Church.
The painting was sold in a silent auction during the weekend and was sold for £320-00. The winning bid was announced at the Old Vicarage afternoon teas and we are pleased to announce that the winning bidder has generously donated the painting back to be displayed in the church.
Cookies are used to count visitors to the website. Using the website implies consent to this usage.